Wednesday 13 January 2010

Which of these three cameras is the better deal?

First, I want opinions from people who know what they are talking about. If you don't currently own a DSLR and don't have experience working with them, I don't want your answer. This is a serious decision. I'm on a tight budget as a college student, yet I need this camera for my major and my future.

Here are the camera's I've found.

[URL Truncated]

[URL Truncated]

[URL Truncated]

Two of them are new and one is refurbished. I don't have any Nikon/Canon loyalties and I haven't decided which one I like better. So I'm up for either as this will be my first DSLR. I know that the Canon t1i is a "better" camera...but is it really? I don't care about shooting video and that seems to be the reason the t1i is so expensive. Do you think there are any flaws or catches with these cameras? Can you find me something better?

Just to give you an idea of what I'm going to be shooting: I will be taking photos for Journalism classes. I enjoy taking photos on my own and what to get better at it. I enjoy taking macro shot

You say you want a camera for your major and your future. I can only assume you mean your future as a professional photographer. If thats true non of these are acceptable. Youre looking at high end consumer cameras not professional DSLRs. If you want a camera suited for professional work you wont find it near the $900 mark.

Answer by KNDChicago on 07 Jan 2010 01:31:06

This is like trying to decide between a nissan sentra, a toyota corolla, and a toyota camry (i.e. NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE). You are splitting hairs here . . .

I would not call this a 'serious' decision (not at this price level). It is an important decision (because money is involved), but you are blowing this way out of proportion.

Neither one is better than the other. Both Nikon and Canon are reputable brands with a long history. I have both a nikon and canon SLR (automatic) and both perform fine. I am perfectly happy using either one (though I prefer manual SLR cameras).

If a smaller camera suits you better then that is what you should get. If you are going to be taking "photojournalistic" pictures you don't want a camera that is uncomfortable or unwieldy. As far as shooting macro, shooting indoors, and shooting great images, that has nothing to do with the camera. That has to do with the lens (and the photographer, respectively).

If you are so good at figuring things out, then you should know that this sort of question gets asked 100 times a day and that you should read some of the answers others have given in the past. There is a regular contributor on here who recommends that you try out both cameras (nikon and canon) at a store and see which one feels better in your hand or is more intuitive. I think that happens to be good advice.

When you have made your decision, then you can place a bid on ebay. Or, you can try a camera store (like B&H, Adorma, Abes of Maine, KEH, etc.)

Answer by mister-damus on 07 Jan 2010 01:55:35
Best Answer

Here is my advice, both Canon and Nikon are excellent brands, so pick the camera you like most. Once you have picked that camera, then I would start off with the short zoom that so often is avaiable with the camera, most likely it will be a 18-55mm zoom which is a great versatile lens.

Buy new, and check some options other than just ebay.

Next advice regarding Nikon, look at the D3000 and the D5000 which are current Nikon models. The D60 has been discontinued and the two I list will be better overall to invest in.

Here are the basic prices I have seen recently.

Nikon D3000 10MP DSLR Digital Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens - $490
Nikon D5000 12MP DSLR Digital Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens - $696
Canon EOS Rebel T1i (500D) 15MP DSLR w/EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens - $769

Below are links, some are for you if you want to research the cameras and the others are photo dealers.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Answer by Mark on 07 Jan 2010 04:51:41

Tight budget? Get a Pentax Digital body and shop around eBay for a 28mm manual lens. You should be able to handle that. I'm under the impression that journalism photography demands a wider angle for more angle coverage and deeper depth of field. Pentax has the best backward compatibility with regards to older lenses so it will be a plus on a tight budget. Since you already know how to handle an SLR, shooting wide for maximum depth of field will not require autofocusing anymore (although Pentax dSLRs offer focus confirmation on manual lenses). You'll be more concerned about the bullets going your way instead.

If you happen to come along a weatherproof and dustproof body, that would be a plus if you find yourself kissing dirt most of the time.

Answer by keerok on 07 Jan 2010 05:44:41

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment