Friday 15 January 2010

50mm full frame vs Sony acds lens question Sony a330?

I have a Sony a330 camera that is less than full frame and I want to get a lens that is a 50mm prime for it.
I'm a little confused as to how to go about doing this since I'm supposed to factor in the crop value, which is 1.5x for the a330.
There is a lens I'm looking at buying, the Sony 50mm f1.8 that is designed specifically for my camera, but I'm not sure if the factoring has already been taken into account? Is this lens really a 50x1.5= 75mm lens? And if so, should I get something like a 35mm lens instead to get my desired 50mm?
I will be using it to do portraits, with this tutorial especially in mind where the guy specifys a 50mm lens:
[URL Truncated]

here is the 50mm Sony lens I'm looking at.
[URL Truncated]
I posted it in 2 different sections because I wasn't sure which section was more appropriate to receive a good answer. Try not to let it offend your delicate sensibilities Mick.
Thanks for the good answer though.

50 mm is 50 mm.

When attached to your A330, it performs as a 75 mm would on a 35 mm camera. The 50 mm becomes a fine portrait lens or in other words a medium format lens.

A 210 mm lens on a 35 mm camera is a telephoto lens, on a 4x5 view camera it is a normal lens (like a 50 mm on a 35 mm camera) ... but the lens is still a 210 mm lens... That does not change

Answer by fhotoace on 06 Jan 2010 12:00:52
Best Answer

Haven't you just asked this question?
And didn't I just answer this question?

Why ask the same question twice in quick succession? You're confusing people. Oh, you've posted in cameras and photography...still confusing.

[URL Truncated]

Edit @ asker. My apologies - I have a cold. And I'm paddling in an inch of water in my office and we tend to get millions of people asking the same question over and over and over. And I didn't realise at the first edit that you'd posted in two categories. And I don't have delicate sensibilities; just no patience... ;)

Answer by Mick on 06 Jan 2010 02:25:30

Yes, if you get a 50mm lens, then it will be a 75mm lens on your Sony and if later you get a Sony full frame DSLR it will be a 50mm lens.

There lenses being made for the APS sized sensor cameras that translate to or nearly to a 50mm lens. For example, the Sigma Normal 30mm f/1.4 EX DC Autofocus Lens (see 1st link below) will be a 45mm lens on your camera and is be a "normal" lens. So if that is what you want, you will need a lens in the 30mm to 35mm range. This Sigma is designed for APS sensor sized cameras and work not cover the area of a 35mm sized sensor or film camera.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Answer by Mark on 06 Jan 2010 06:26:59

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment